- East Providence is building a new, state-of-the-art, comprehensive high school, scheduled to open in 2021, that will serve as an exemplar for school districts throughout New England.
- In November 2018, residents overwhelmingly approved a bond referendum to finance the project, seizing an opportunity to receive significant reimbursement from the State under the new School Construction Program.
- The total cost of the project will not exceed $189.5 million. The project is designed to meet the maximum allowable State reimbursement of nearly 75 percent of eligible costs.
- 304,000 square-foot, four-story facility, with capacity for 1,600 students in grades 9-12.
- Academic spaces designed to align instruction in core subject areas with Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs.
- 45 core academic classrooms, 10 science labs, and two greenhouses.
- Professional training in expanded career and technical programs, including:
- Graphic Arts program with spaces for fashion and illustration, ceramic and sculpting studio, mixed media lab
- Culinary Arts, including a food lab, community restaurant, café, and teaching kitchen
- Allied Health programs focused on dental assisting and nursing
- Radio and Television Broadcasting, featuring a broadcast studio, control room, and editing rooms
- Construction Lab housing a two-story wood frame structure to provide students real-world installation experience of HVAC, plumbing, welding, and electrical components
- Library Media Resource Center which will serve as a “Learning Commons,” including a large maker space, video editing labs, and flexible collaboration areas.
- Performing arts and music spaces, including a 900-seat auditorium, piano lab, digital music lab, band and choral classrooms, practice rooms and green rooms.
- Expanded and renovated athletics facilities, including a lighted football stadium with synthetic turf and halftime facilities, track, tennis courts, and fields for baseball, softball, soccer, and lacrosse.
- Health and Physical Education facilities include community space for a two-story fitness center and walking track, two basketball courts, trainer’s room, and locker rooms.
- Exterior and main entry designed to foster a strong sense of school and community pride.
- Safe and secure access to outdoor learning opportunities.
- Sustainable design features to optimize energy usage and improve energy efficiency.